Benefits of meditation



As I understand there are multiple ways to meditate. Obviously I haven't tried all of those. One of the types I have tried is the one in which I try to focus my mind on one thing (one thought) with eyes closed for 11 minutes. No mantras, no chants, no guidance, no sounds, just sit comfortably with back straight (without leaning) and head tilted slightly upwards. I have been doing this for over 3 years now and I think I have benefited with this practice and therefore would like to share and create awareness about this practice. Some of the direct benefits of this type of meditation is listed below
  • Increase in attention span
  • Increase in ability to focus 
  • Increase in ability to focus on one thing even when there are distractions
  • Clarity in thinking
  • Increase in sleep quality
  • Decrease in duration of sleep hours - more time to do things
  • Reduction in sleepiness during day - More active during the day
  • Achieve more in less time
  • Plus many other indirect benefits
  • Coming up with solutions for problems  - see explanation below
  • Idea generation - see explanation below
While my goal is to focus on one thought for 11 minutes with eyes closed, it always happens that many distractions take over the mind during this time, and then there is constant fight during this time to refocus on that one thought.  What I have noticed is that some of the distractions were either problems or ideas. So it happens many a times that I lose focus but I come up with solutions for those problems or even come up with ideas. So even losing focus didn't do anything bad to me. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

O nanna gelaya - Kannada poem

Teacher's Day - A Poem

How do supermarkets capture feedback?

Eyes, Mouth and Nose - A short story for kids